Data Scientist Team Lead
The Data Science Team Lead (TL) plays a technical leadership role in Elicit’s analytic consulting engagements. The TL is a key member of the client engagement team in an analytics-consulting role, providing technical leadership and guidance to the team, both by example through direct execution of project analytics activities. The TL assigns project work and provides coaching and guidance to both Elicit and client personnel with respect to analytic methods, techniques, and approaches. The TL is instrumental in connecting the team’s analytics efforts with client business objectives, working with Elicit’s Marketing Strategy team to accomplish this link. In addition, the TL actively partners with Elicit’s Engagement Managers to present key findings to the client, develop project resource and staffing plans, and ensure projects are delivered on time. Finally, the TL provides thought leadership, helping advance both the client’s and Elicit’s marketing science capabilities.
The TL is also responsible for leading and managing a group of Data Scientists spread across multiple clients and different projects. The main areas of responsibility include, but are not limited to, acting as a mentor to each team member (TM), helping develop each as analytic consulting professionals through oversight of their development plans. This involves understanding each TM’s strengths and weaknesses; developing and sharing their skills, talents, and experiences with others; and working with other TLs, the Director of Data Science, and the Chief Scientist to assign appropriate and meaningful work that will facilitate individual learning, as well as benefit Elicit on the whole.
IDEAL CANDIDATES JOINING OUR TEAM WILL HAVE A MIXTURE OF:
- Technical skills such as analytics, statistics, and data mining
- Business consulting and client interaction skills, project scoping, and project management
- Passion for and experience with leveraging customer data and analytics to support marketing, strategy, and customer relationship management, along with other business departments.
- Bachelor’s degree in Mathematics, Statistics, Economics, Engineering or other quantitative discipline; Master’s degree preferred.
- Minimum 5 years experience in marketing analytics, marketing execution, and/or customer analytics.
- Strong experience utilizing statistical software tools such as R, SAS or SPSS to analyze large data sets and develop descriptive and predictive models.
- Fluent using Microsoft Excel for data manipulation, analysis or charting
- Storytelling—Skill and patience to translate complex quantitative concepts and analytical results into a language consumable by business users – and an appreciation as to why this is critical.
- Strong SQL skills and the ability to mine various database environments to derive analytic insights, as well as to cleanse, transform, and manipulate data sets to prepare for the development of models.
- Ability to take complex statistical concepts and explain them in common language to make the user more familiar and comfortable with the method used.
- Ability to think quickly and make actionable decisions both for Elicit internally and for our clients.
- Assist clients in developing marketing strategies based on quantitative customer insights.
- Apply analytic output to marketing operations, including direct mail, email and dynamic content targeting.
- Advise clients on customer lifecycle concepts and differences in acquisition, development, retention, and re-activation strategies.
- Identify process, system, or technology enhancements to improve customer data capture, insights generation, and customer analytics usage and deployment.
- Complete analytical project assignments, including but not limited to statistical modeling and programming, data preparation, technical documentation, visual presentation of findings, written reports, and presentations to clients.
- Work with the Marketing Strategy team to ensure seamless communication and delivery of analytical insights and their connection to actionable business objectives.
- Lead by example by acting as an individual contributor when the need arises.
- Build project work plans for team, and work with the Engagement Managers to ensure that the project stays on track.
- Lead a team of Data Scientists by providing critical feedback, annual performance reviews, and reviewing their day-to-day work.
- Understanding each DS’s unique abilities, interests, and career development path will be required to help Elicit to continue to grow.
- Contribute to technical aspects of proposal development, project scoping, timeline, and deliverables.
- Help advance Elicit’s vision for Data Science, as well as its technical capabilities, working with and under the guidance of Elicit’s Director of Data Science and Elicit’s Chief Scientist.
- Willingness to travel and be onsite with our client locations, up to 50% of the time.
Elicit is a leading customer science and strategy consultancy that helps clients uncover latent insights about their customers, and apply those insights to business, marketing, product, loyalty, brand, and customer experience strategy. With a portfolio of Fortune 500 clients that include Southwest Airlines, HomeAway, Fossil, GameStop, Sephora, BevMo!, and Pier 1 Imports, Elicit delivers breakthrough customer intelligence and business strategies that result in stronger customer engagement and increased profits.
We want self-motivated candidates who will thrive in an entrepreneurial environment, combining their deep analytical skills and an innate curiosity about discovering patterns in customer data with a focused commitment to client success and a strong team ethic. In return, we offer successful candidates a dynamic and intellectually stimulating work environment with an opportunity to make an immediate impact in a young, growing consultancy, solving interesting and challenging problems for Fortune 250 clients.